Preparatory Practices for Japa Kriya
Chakra Location and Visualization
In Japa Kriya you need to pay attention to chakras for extended duration than
Bhutashuddhi Kriya. In Bhutashuddhi Kriya you simply "touch" the chakras and
quickly move further along with your breath whereas in Japa Kriya you
concentrate on a particular chakra for a fixed amount of time (108 recitations
if you are using Japa Mala). This requires that you know the exact location of
chakras. Often people confuse between a Chakra and its functional area. Take an
example Manipura chakra. Its functional area is navel but its actual location is
on the spinal column exactly at the back of the navel. The following diagram
will make the chakra locations clear.
The chakra names from 1 to 7 are Muladhara, Swadhisthana, Manipura, Anahata,
Vishuddhi, Ajna and Sahasrara.
In order to find out and feel these locations the following practice can
- Sit in any comfortable meditative posture
- Close your eyes
- Slowly try to move your awareness to Muladhara Chakra
- Try to see the region from within
- Visualize a bright red lotus (or flower) at the Muladhara Chakra.
- After couple of minutes move on to Swadhisthana Chakra at the base of
- Visualize a bright vermillion lotus there.
- Repeat the same process for all the seven Chakra points visualizing
lotuses of yellow (Manipura), blue (Anahata), violet (Vishuddhi), white (Ajna)
color. Sahasrara is colorless.
- Once you reach Sahasrara start descending in the reverse order in the
Bipin Joshi is a software consultant, an author and a yoga mentor with more than 22 years of experience in classical yoga system of India. He is an internationally published author and has authored or co-authored more than ten technology books for Apress and WROX press. He has been awarded as a Most Valuable Professional by Microsoft. He has also written a few Marathi books including Devachya Davya Hati and Natha Sankentincha Danshu. Having embraced yoga way of life he also teaches Kriya and Meditation to selected individuals.
बिपीन जोशी लिखित देवाच्या डाव्या हाती आणि नाथ संकेतींचा दंशु या पुस्तकांची आपली प्रत आजच विकत घ्या. त्यांच्या अजपा योग मार्गदर्शनाविषयी अधिक माहिती येथे उपलब्ध आहे.