My Recommended Beginner
My Recommended Yoga Routine for Beginners
Some of you might be planning to pay more attention to your health and
fitness from the new year. To that end Yoga can be a very nice tool to keep you
fit. There are a lots of books and DVDs available in the market today, each
propagating their own styles. Beginners are often confused as to which all yoga
postures to pick to start with. If you are looking for a simple yet effective
set of beginner level yoga postures and pranayama here are my recommendations
for a 30 minute routine...
- Ardha Uttanapadasana (30 sec. each leg X 2 rounds)
- Ardha Pawanamuktasana (30 sec. each leg X 2 rounds)
- Bhujangasana (30 seconds X 3 rounds)
- Ardha Shalabhasana (30 seconds each leg X 2 rounds)
- Dhanurasana (30 seconds X 3 rounds)
- Ardha Vakrasana (1 min. each side)
- Paschimottanasana (30 seconds X 2 rounds)
- Vajrasana (2 min.)
- Parvatasana (1 min. X 2 rounds)
- Tadasan (1 min. X 2 rounds)
- Mild Bhastrika (2 min.)
- Ujjayi (2 min.)
- Kapalabhati (2 min.)
- Shavasana with Ajapa (3 min.)
- Begin your practice with mild warm-up exercises such as Sun Salutations,
shoulder rotation, neck rotation etc. This will make your body fit for
stretching techniques that follow.
- The duration and rounds given are merely for the sake of giving you some
idea. Adjust them as per your time availability and needs.
- Consult some good book or DVD on classical yoga to get the detailed
explanation of these techniques. I don't have any specific recommendation
for a book or DVD.
- Always listen to your body. If you feel any discomfort or pain stop
- If you are suffering from some ailments seek personal consultation from
some yoga teacher or doctor.
- Ensure that you don't hold your breath while performing any of the
techniques mentioned above.
- It is very important that you be regular in your practice to get good
Bipin Joshi is an independent software consultant, trainer, author, yoga mentor, and meditation teacher with over 24 years of experience in classical form of Yoga. He is an internationally published author and has authored or co-authored more than twelve books on .NET technologies. He has been awarded as a Most Valuable Professional by Microsoft. He has also written a few Marathi books including Devachya Davya Hati and Natha Sankentincha Danshu. Having embraced the Yoga way of life he also teaches Ajapa Yoga to selected individuals.
Get article updates : Facebook Twitter LinkedIn